Essex Poetry Festival 12th Open Poetry Competition
Sole juror is Pascale Petit, Tate Modern’s Tutor and Poet.
DEADLINE: 30th July 2012
First Prize £1000 / Second £250 / Third £100 & 3 runner-up prizes of £25
Prize giving will be on 6th October at the Essex Poetry Festival Winners & runners-up will be invited to read their winning poems at the festival. Prize winning poems will be published on website.
Download the entry form here.
- Poems may be up to 40 lines, and on any subject.
- Entries must be the poet’s own unpublished work. They should not be on offer elsewhere during this competition. Copyright remains with the author.
- The entry fee is £3.50 per poem or £12 for 4 poems.
- Each poem should be typed on one side of A4 paper with the title of the poem at the top of the sheet. The competitor’s name must NOT appear on the poem.
- All entries must be accompanied by A4 covering sheet with the authors name, address, contact details (email & phone) & titles of poems, or use ready made entry form.
- Poems can’t be returned, so don’t send original manuscripts
- The adjudicator’s decision is final.
Essex Young Poet Of The Year 2012
DEADLINE: 31 July 2012.
Open to anyone 16 or under living in, or attending school in, Essex. Prizes will be awarded in four age categories.
With the full support of Essex County Council, the title ‘Essex Young Poet of the Year’ will be awarded to the overall winner. Age will be taken into consideration when making this award. Winners will be notified by post, and the results published in the local press.
Prizes: (book tokens for first, second and third places in each category, and an additional prize to the overall winner) will be presented on 8th October at a venue in Chelmsford.
Presentation details will be sent to all prize winners and their schools in September.
In addition, approximately 30 of the best entries will be published in a children’s poetry anthology, copies of which will be on sale at the presentation. Copies of last year’s anthology are available at a cost of £2.50 + 50p post and packing.
How to enter: Just write clearly or word process the poem with its title, and attach it securely, with a second copy, to the completed entry form. We recommend that you also keep a copy yourself!
Download full rules and entry form here.
For further information/clarification: call Anita Marie Sackett 01245 262020
Send your entries to: Essex Poetry Festival Competition / 15 Seeleys, Old Harlow, Essex, CM17 0AD